Official selections to be shown at CASCADIA’s 2022 festival May 12-15
BELLINGHAM, WA, August 14, 2021—CASCADIA International Women’s Film Festival is now open for short film submissions for its 2022 film festival in Bellingham, WA. May 12-15. The festival is open to films directed by women from around the world. Submissions can be made via the Film Freeway website.
Now entering its sixth year, CASCADIA showcases and celebrates exceptional films directed by women. It is one of only a handful of festivals in the U.S. currently dedicated to this purpose. The festival, which usually takes place in downtown Bellingham each spring, was “re-envisioned” following 2020’s COVID shutdowns, and was shown online in both 2020 and 2021. Organizers say they expect to host a live event in 2022 with an online festival occurring afterwards.
Since its first festival five years ago, CASCADIA has presented films by more than 125 women directors from around the world and more than half of the films shown at their 2021 were made by women of color. Last year’s festival included eight full-length features and 19 short films including animated films, documentary and narrative films from 14 different countries. Films by students, emerging directors and Indigenous women are also usually in the mix.
“CASCADIA’s standards of acceptance are high so that our audiences and filmmakers will have the best experience possible and see the most exceptional films directed by women,” said Executive Director Cheryl Crooks.
Crooks said submissions are initially viewed by CASCADIA’s 30 professional film screeners located worldwide. Films with the highest ratings then advance to the final selection committee.
Additional requirements are as follows:
- Films must be 25 minutes or less and completed or released by 18 months prior to the festival.
- Early bird submissions with reduced submission fees effective until September 15.
- All films must be submitted through Film Freeway.
- Submissions close November 20.
- All genres are welcome––documentary, narrative, animated, experimental; CASCADIA is not currently accepting VR or web series submissions.
- Students may submit at reduced rates with proof of student status.
- Feature films will be curated but inquiries are welcome to email@example.com.
- Filmmakers will be notified by February 12, 2022.
- Filmmakers are strongly encouraged to review the Official Selections from the previous festivals before submitting. This will be a good indicator of the level of quality CASCADIA is seeking.
- Closed-captioning encouraged.
- CASCADIA anticipates accepting only up to 40 films for the 2022 festival.
- In-person festival tentatively scheduled to be May 12-15 at the Pickford Film Center Bellingham’s downtown Arts District.
Questions regarding short film submissions may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
CASCADIA International Women’s Film Festival, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and showcasing the work of women filmmakers, was formed in Bellingham, Washington, in 2015. The organization also works year-round to provide film production, exhibition, and distribution education. More information about CASCADIA may be found on their website at cascadiafilmfest.org.